Sponsors

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Cherry Blossom Festival

The Cherry Blossom Festival began a few days ago in Washington, DC. Even though I have never been to Washington, DC to experience one of these festivals in person, I always enjoy following them and hearing about all the things going on there. I have family from Japan so I feel sort of a tie to the festival, and it is just very interesting to me. One of my dreams is to be able to actually visit DC during the Cherry Festival.

This year is particularly special because it marks the 100th year. In 1912 the Tokyo’s mayor gave 3000 cherry blossom trees to Washington, DC. What is pretty amazing is that the trees are still there and bloom every spring. I would love to see the beauty of these trees in person; I know it has to be breath taking.

As if the blooming of almost 4000 cherry blossom trees is not enough, they also have several different activities throughout the month long festival. There is Japanese art, dance, sports competitions and many other fun things. I would love to live close enough to enjoy several of the activities that are going on during the festival. And best of all, almost all of it is free.

I will continue to watch the festivities online or on the news, and dream about the day I can actually go a Cherry Blossom Festival and experience it in person. I may even purchase my very own cherry blossom tree and plant it in my yard in honor of this amazing festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment