Sponsors

Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Beach Tribute

Thousands of fellow surf lifesavers and their parents gathered on the beach to pay tribute to Matthew Barclay. They made a huge circle with their arms wrapped around each other. He went missing on Wednesday in a surf lifesaver competition. On Thursday his body was recovered about 2km from the competition zone, the Kurrawa beach, of the Australian Surf Life Saving Championships. Thousands of volunteers spent many hours looking for the lost boy.

Matthew was only 14, but he had already built quite a reputation as a beautiful boy with a good heart. This just breaks my heart, I can not even imagine what his parents, family and friends are going through. Many people debate the surf lifesavers, but I think there could be tragedy with just about any sport or hobby. I am glad that Matthew's parents allowed him to do something he loved. His dad said he had fulfilling 14 years; that is good to hear. Mr. Barclay, Matthew's father said that Matthew was found in perfect condition. He was wearing his uniform, his hat and an armband in remembrance of a fellow surf lifesaver who lost his life one year ago.

Matthew's body will be laid to rest on Thursday at Sunshine Coast. I just hope his parents can find peace in this situation, which is so very sad. I can not even begin to imagine losing one of my children. I know these parents must be struggling with his death and I really hope they do not blame themselves for allowing him to do something that he loved so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment